St. Andrew Square


St. Andrew Square is situated at the East end of George Street in Edinburgh and dates back to 1770. It was designed by James Craig as part of his New Town development. The square became a banking centre at the turn of the 19th century and the Royal Bank of Scotland still have their flagship branch there. During the First World War the square was used to house American soldiers and in World War 2 it was home to some air raid shelters.

The huge monument in the centre is 41 metres high and is called the Melville Monument after Viscount Melville, Henry Dundas, a powerful 18th century politician. The column was modelled on Trajan´s column in Rome and the statue was placed atop it in 1828.

The square was originally built for the surrounding residents and businesses although after a recent reworking the space has been opened to the public for the first time in its history.


St. Andrew Square